Today we have two guests on the Gambling Issues Podcast. They are Dr. Tom Horvath, president of SMART Recovery and Rick, a SMART Recovery group facilitator based out of San Diego. Dr. Horvath also runs the treatment program Practical Recovery and is the author of Sex, Drugs, Gambling and Chocolate: a Workbook for Overcoming Addictions.
Rick is originally from Anchorage, Alaska, where one of his favorite memories was enjoying the Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show concert. He is the grandfather to 10 kids and his favorite movie is The Bridge on the River Kwai. Dr. Tom Horvath follows a SEN philosophy as in “Sleep, Exercise, Nutrition” and his all time favorite musical is My Fair Lady.
Please note: there will be an episode with Gambler’s Anonymous sometime in the future as well.
In this episode, you’ll hear about
- Key differences between SMART Recovery and the 12 Step model
- How Rick discovered SMART Recovery
- An example of one of the tools used in SMART Recovery meetings
- What someone could expect from a SMART Recovery Meeting
- Rick and Tom’s favorite quotes
Resources and links from this episode
- SMART Recovery Website
- SMART Recovery Complete Meeting List
- SMART Recovery Meetings in Canada
- SMART Recovery Online Meetings
- SMART Recovery Online Forum
- SMART Recovery on YouTube
- SMART Recovery on Twitter
- SMART Recovery USA on Facebook
- The history of SMART Recovery at their 20th Anniversary Conference
- Sex, Drugs, Gambling and Chocolate: a Workbook for Overcoming Addictions by Dr. Tom Horvath
- Dr. Tom Horvath frequents Substance.com (no longer updated), TheFix.com and Rehab.com for content on addiction and recovery
- Practical Recovery, Dr. Tom Horvath’s treatment program
- SMART Recovery Okanagan
- SMART Recovery Okanagan on Facebook
- SMART Recovery Okanagan on Twitter
- BC Problem Gambling Helpline 1.888.795.6111 – confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Gambling Issues Podcast Episode 8 about the Four Directions Conference
- Four Directions Conference Registration Information
Thanks for listening!
Thank you for listening to the Gambling Issues Podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, there’s a few ways you can help us out
- Subscribe to the podcast, so you don’t miss an episode!
- Submit a review in iTunes, this helps people find the podcast
- Share the link to this episode GamblingIssuesPodcast.com/10
- Sign up for our email list
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Ask a question or submit feedback
Thank you to Rick and Dr. Tom Horvath for being on the podcast and the BC Responsible and Problem Gambling Program for making this podcast possible!