Carolyn Pickett is today’s guest. She’s been a Social Worker since 1975 and a Prevention Specialist since 2002 with the BC Responsible and Problem Gambling Program. Carolyn works on Vancouver Island, providing public awareness of responsible gambling and problem gambling throughout her community.
Carolyn’s favourite movie for silliness with a message is Planes, Trains and Automobiles and her favourite movie for intensity is Schindler’s List.
In this episode, you’ll hear about
- What Carolyn would do differently in her early days as a social worker
- How she got interested in prevention work
- How she introduces the topic of Responsible Gambling and Problem Gambling
- Carolyn’s plan for each of her grandchildren on their 11th birthday
Resources and links from this episode
- Prevention Services in BC
- BC Problem Gambling Helpline 1.888.795.6111
- Getting Help in BC
- How residents of BC can request a phone call from a counsellor
- How residents of BC can request a prevention service
- BC Problem Gambling Counselling Information
- BC Problem Gambling Counsellor Directory
- For information on Discovery workshops, Drop In groups or the Dialectical Behavior Therapy group, contact
- Adrienne: 604.936.3900 ext 154 or 1.800.595.8583 or DiscoveryVancouver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Kuldip: 604.764.9575 or 1.800.595.8583 or DiscoveryVancIsland [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Problem Gambling Helplines for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, South Africa and USA from the Canadian Partnership for Responsible Gambling
- Problem Gambling Helplines State by State from the US National Council on Problem Gambling
- Gambling Issues Podcast Episode 8 about the Four Directions Conference
- Four Directions Conference Registration Information
Thanks for listening!
Thank you for listening to the Gambling Issues Podcast. If you enjoyed this episode, there’s a few ways you can help us out
- Subscribe to the podcast, so you don’t miss an episode!
- Submit a review in iTunes, this helps people find the podcast
- Share the link to this episode GamblingIssuesPodcast.com/11
- Sign up for our email list
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Ask a question or submit feedback
Thank you to Carolyn Pickett for being on the podcast and the BC Responsible and Problem Gambling Program for making this podcast possible!